ISDP Internship Program: Asia Program
Are you looking for work experience in the field of international security and development? Do you have a particular interest in Asia? Then you might be our next intern!
The Institute for Security and Development Policy is a Stockholm-based independent and non-profit research and policy institute. The Institute is dedicated to expanding the understanding of international affairs, particularly the interrelationship between the issue areas of conflict, security and development. The Institute’s primary areas of geographic focus are Asia and Europe’s neighborhood. ISDP strongly believes in ethnic diversity, gender equality, and religious and political freedom and firmly stands for it in all aspects of its work.
The Asia Program is one of ISDP’s two permanent programs. It conducts research designed to guide and inform policymakers about various conflicts and development challenges in the Asian region focusing at present on Northeast Asia. As such, the Program is policy-oriented and focused on practical research. The main objectives are to be a bridge between academia and practitioners and to provide strategic insights and policy recommendations to decision-makers in governments, international institutions and the private sector through five main channels: Impartial research; publications and newsletters; workshops and conferences; teaching and training; and formal and informal discussions.
- Conduct research for senior staff members
- Assist in the coordination of center activities, such as seminars, conferences, and meetings.
- Contribute to ISDP’s publications series
- News gathering and reporting
- Support the everyday work at ISDP
- Undergraduate degree (or close to completing a degree) in social sciences, economics, area studies or law
Qualifications and Competences
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Interest in Asia
- Strong research and drafting skills
- Excellent coordination and communications skills
- Ability to work independently and work in an international team
- Knowledge of Mandarin/Chinese, Korean or Japanese is desired, but not a requirement
To apply, submit the following documents by April 14, 2019, by sending an email to Erik Isaksson – email@example.com. All documents should be in English and in PDF format. State clearly which position(s) in the ISDP Internship Program you apply for. The starting date of this position is August/September 2019, and the internship can last for 4-5 months. The internship takes place in our head office in Stockholm.
- Motivation letter
- A 2-4-page written sample in English. The sample could be a university paper or similar text. Excerpts from longer papers are also accepted.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview either in person or over the phone. Due to the high number of internship applications we regret that we may not respond to all requests. Please note that all internship positions at ISDP are unpaid, that interns are required to provide by themselves accident and liability insurance, and that we are unable to admit interns over the summer.