ISDP Internship Program: Stockholm Japan Center
Are you looking for work experience in the field of international security and development? Do you have a particular interest in Japan? Then you might be our next intern!
The Institute for Security and Development Policy is a Stockholm-based independent and non-profit research and policy institute. The Institute is dedicated to expanding understanding of international affairs, particularly the interrelationship between the issue areas of conflict, security and development, with a geographical focus on Asia and Europe’s neighborhood. ISDP strongly believes in ethnic diversity, gender equality, and religious and political freedom and firmly stands for it in all aspects of its work.
Japan, in spite of its size, has a major role in Asian as well as world affairs, and its rapidly developing and changing society is oftentimes not afforded the attention that a full understanding of Asia-Pacific international politics demands. The Stockholm Japan Center aims to counter this by increasing knowledge of Japan by arranging seminars, and conducting research and engagement activities with its partners in the region and elsewhere.
- Conduct research for senior staff members
- Assist in the coordination of center activities, such as seminars, conferences, and meetings.
- Contribute to ISDP’s publications series
- News gathering and reporting
- Support the everyday work at ISDP
Qualifications and Competences
- Undergraduate degree (or close to completing a degree) in social sciences, economics, area studies or law
- Interest in Japan
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Strong research and drafting skills
- Excellent coordination and communications skills
- Ability to work independently and work in an international team
- Knowledge of Swedish and/or Japanese is desired, but not a requirement.
To apply, submit the following documents by April 8, 2018, by sending an email to Erik Isaksson – email@example.com. All documents should be in English and in PDF format. State clearly which position(s) in the ISDP Internship Program you apply for. The starting date of this position is August/September 2018.
- Motivation letter
- A 2-4-page written sample in English. The sample could be a university paper or similar text. Excerpts from longer papers are also accepted.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview either in person or over the phone. Due to the high number of internship applications we regret that we may not respond to all requests. Please note that all internship positions at ISDP are full time, unpaid and that we are unable to admit interns over summer and winter holidays.